Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Great Backyard Bird Count

I started my count yesterday. It was quite fascinating. I see birds on our property every day and although I love them, I think I had become so accustomed to their presence that I had forgotten how many there actually are.
I actually created a spreadsheet because I wanted to graph what I was recording better. In the spreadsheet I have them listed by what I call them, their common names, their Latin name, family name, sub-family names, the date, time, location and quantity. So far I have found:
Brewers Blackbird
Canadian Goose
American Crow
Black Phoebe
Yellow-billed Magpie
Mallards
Western Meadowlark
Northern Mockingbird
Mourning Dove
Ring-necked Pheasant
Rock Dove/ Pidgeon
California Quail
Red Wing Black Birds
Western Scrub Jay
California Gull
House sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
European Starling
Northern Red-shafted Flicker
Common Yellowthroat Warbler

As well as 2 unidentified species I could not locate in my Sibley's book or online. One I believe is some type of Warbler, but I have not found a close enough picture to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment