Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Reptile Show

Sunday brought the Reptile Show to the Convention Center in downtown Sacramento. We went to it as a field trip to learn more about reptiles.
I will admit it was not what I had expected. I thought it would be more like a traveling zoo for reptiles. It was not. It was more of a gathering of reptile vendors, but I will say, most of them, almost all, were excellant sources of information about each species they were vending. They were happy to let you touch and willingly answered any questions that we had.

In some ways it was better than a zoo. When it is a traveling show you might have 1 or 2 persons who might answer questions. Here we had over a hundred of very enthusiastic and motivated sources of information.

I found out that geckos, like alligators, can have their sex predetermined before they hatch. Just control the temperature. Higher and you get a male lower a female. It was all a lot more complicated than that but I do not want to write a dissertation so we will leave it at that.

I even was able to have a Tarantula on my hand, touch a snake, a lizard and some kind of very large insect that I have already forgotten the name of! I just remember the 13 year old boy who was telling me about it was one of the most articulate young persons I have come across in quite a while. He told me that the insect, started with a V I think, had a very fragile exoskeleton and would probably fracture if I dropped it. Since it was a $65.00 bug I did not move until the insect was back in the young mans hands.

I took a lot of pictures because everything was so beautiful and interesting. Here are some of my favorites:





Have an Outrageously Orange Day!
Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment