Sunday, April 5, 2009

It's a Purple Environmental Sunday - Bubbles!!!

This would have been posted so much earlier, but I have been trying to figure out how to get my signature to automatically post with each post. I have seen it on other peoples posts and I like it.
I have followed the instructions but I must be missing something because the signature is on Flickr but not showing up on the posts. I thought it might have been a problem with a space that had been added between the quotes , but I deleted the space and it is still not working. I am going to give it a rest for a while.
It would be cool to have it, but it is not the most important thing in my life.

Well, today is a Purple Day!! Yeah!
I love purple!
Wait, I love all colours!
I guess that means every day is my special day!
I was trying to pick what special creative project I could share form the "Earthways " book. There are so many it is hard to choose. First, I narrowed it down to the Spring season, but still there were quite a few left.
I have decided on the Bubbles. Spring is fun, Bubbles are fun. What better way to celebrate the new season!
Whether you are still inside due to bad weather, or outside enjoying the sunny Spring weather, bubbles will be a fun addition to your day.
It is magical, fun, quiet and soothing whether it's raining or shining outside.
Beautiful rainbow bubbles, what a joy to experience them.

You will need:
  • mild dish soap(use non-toxic)
  • glycerin (available at pharmacies)
  • tablespoon
  • quart jar
  • spoon
  • straws of bubble wands
  • Little jars of cups to hold each child's portion of bubble stuff

What to do:
1. Mix bubble stuff by gently combining 2 tablespoon of liquid dish soap and 2 tablespoons of glycerin with a quart of water.

2. Stir them gently so the mixture does not get too bubbly.

3. Make rules clear before the children begin to blow bubbles.
Rules will differ depending on whether you are inside or outside.
The author of Earthways said that they would all sit around a table when they were indoors and there were four rules:

1. Only pop your own bubbles, not someone else's.
2. Don't blow into the jar, as this quickly exhausts the bubble stuff
3. Stay in your seats, no running around chasing bubbles indoors.
4. Watch them float around the room.

For indoor bubble blowing, these rules helped to create a quiet, calm atmosphere.
Outdoors of course is another story, as children can run like the wind chasing bubbles!
Just don't run with the bubble stuff.

Watch young ones as they may try to suck in the bubble stuff up the straw.
Gently blowing the bubble stuff onto a table will create pretty rainbow bubble domes.
Next week will will make wind wands!
I hope you had a fun Environmental Purple Sun!


Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment